A list of upcoming rallies and grassroots resources curated by KRCL’s RadioACTive team. Featured events do not imply endorsement.
Upcoming debates for SLC Mayor:
Thursday, October 17:
- RadioACTive live at Impact Hub Salt Lake, 150 S. State St., SLC. Doors at 6:00 p.m., debate at 7:00 p.m. Moderator: Lara Jones
- Utah Sierra Club Fall Harvest Party | Coal Country Conversations, 6:30-9 p.m. at Pierpont Place, 163 Pierpont Ave., SLC. Special guests: Carl Shoupe and son Scott, fourth- and fifth-generation coal miners, who are dedicated to transforming their small coal-mining town into a burgeoning tourism community and, yes, that includes solar power. Click here for tickets.
- SLC Pacific Island Business Alliance Q4 After-hours Networking & Self Care, 5:30 p.m. Sugar Space Arts Warehouse, Q4 After hours networking & Self Care meetup hosted by Sugar space Art Warehouse, the place on the West side! The SLC Pacific Island Business Alliance presents it's 4th quarter evening After Hours Networking & Self Care event hosted by Sugarspace Art Warehouse, a west side venue complex for performances, workshops, receptions, weddings, non-profits and public and private events.
- Utah Pride Center Comedy Fundraiser, 7:30 p.m. Wiseguys Comedy Club, Salt Lake City, Join Crowdsourced Comedy at Wiseguys with a show benefiting The Pride Center of Utah. This show features all LGBTQ+ stand-up comedians, with a cast of improvisers made up of the cause's greatest allies and members.
Friday, Saturday, October 18,19:
- Downtown Dine O'Round - 2019, Downtown SLC, Featuring select downtown Salt Lake City restaurants, the 17th annual Downtown Dine O’Round lets diners enjoy two-item lunches or three-course dinners at special prices.
Friday, October 18:
- UPC: Crowdfunding Launch Party w/ Robin Wall Kimmerer, 6:30 p.m. 173 W Angelo Ave, Salt Lake City, Please join us at the Salton Sun for the launch of The Utah Permaculture Collective crowdfunding campaign featuring special guest: Robin Wall Kimmerer.
- Party in the Park, 11:00 a.m. Jordan Park, 1060 S 900 W, Salt Lake City, At Party in the Park, Salt Lake County is promoting healthy neighborhoods and striving to connect individuals to a multitude of FREE community health resources. There will be free food donated by The Salvation Army, face painting and a pumpkin patch in addition to tree giveaways (while supplies last), mobile health clinics and free home cleaning kits.
- News, Disinformation, and Social Media Responsibility, 8:00 a.m. S.J. Quinney College of Law - University of Utah, 383 S University St, Salt Lake City, The Utah Law Review is thrilled to announce this year’s symposium topic: News, Disinformation, and Social Media Responsibility.
Saturday, October 19:
- Speaker: Robin Wall Kimmerer, 3:00-4:30 p.m. at Salt Lake City Public Library. Robin Wall Kimmerer is a member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation and 'combines her heritage with her scientific and environmental passions.' She is the author of numerous scientific articles and the books Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses, and Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants.
- Downtown SLC Farmer Market, 8:00 a.m. Downtown SLC Farmers Market, Pioneer Park, Salt Lake City, The Downtown Farmers Market exists to strengthen and support small local farms and businesses as they bring their products directly to the public. Our farmers and producers offer the freshest local fruits and vegetables as well as a wide variety of grass-fed meats, eggs, dairy, honey, and flora, along with the region's best locally made sauces, spreads, baked goods and culinary accoutrements.
- Dogs & Cats Adoption Event, 11:00n a.m. PetSmart, 389 West 1830 S, Salt Lake City, Come meet adorable and adoptable cats and dogs!
- Open NOH8 Photo Shoot in Salt Lake City, 2:00 p.m. St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 261 S 900 E, Salt Lake City, Photos are first-come, first-served - and we move fast! Please arrive camera-ready with a plain white shirt to match the signature style of the NOH8 photos.
- Fix-It Clinic | Patagonia, 2:30 p.m. Patagonia, 2292 S highland Drive, SLC. Celebrate International Repair Day with the URA and Patagonia! Stay tuned for more information on repair coaches who will be joining us for this event and start collecting those items around the house that are in need of fixing!
Tuesday, October 22:
- Moving Away from Prisons and Toward Transformative Justice, 6:00 p.m. Salt Lake Save the Kids, Salt Lake Community College, Salt Lake City, A panel discussion by experts on restorative justice and transformative justice.
- Common Ground: The Story of Bears Ears - Free Film Screening, 6:00 p.m. Park City Library, 1255 Park Ave, Park City, This film is a critical and timely portrait of one of the most important land management decisions in our lifetime. The film’s goal is to humanize this polarizing issue, depicting the deep pull within us all to connect with wild lands. In partnership with PANDOS, a Utah-based, Native and environmental rights organization..
Wednesday, October 23:
Thursday, October 24:
Saturday, October 26:
5th Annual "In Heels 2 Heal" 1 Mile Walk For Domestic Violence Awareness, 11a-2p at International Peace Gardens. Annual event that Pacific Island men and male allies walk 1 mile in high heels to stand with women, children and all victims to raise awareness for Domestic Violence Awareness month and to provide resources of community services. Click here to register. Walk as a group to represent your company, organization, family, and or friends. Bring posters of survivors and loved ones lost to Domestic Violence. Wear purple!
Fort Douglas Cemetery Tour, 1:00-4:00 p.m. at 405 S. Chipeta Way, SLC. In commemoration of the day that Fort Douglas was founded in 1862, there will be local military re-enactors stationed across the cemetery to help bring to life the stories of people buried there. There will be tables from Utah State History and Utah State Archives for you to learn about military history research and the records available in Utah. Stop by at 1:30pm or 3:30pm to catch a tour about headstone "Designs Through Time" with Amy Barry, the Cemeteries & Burials specialist for the state of Utah. Start at the museum and come through Officer's Circle for trick-or-treating on the way to the cemetery.
Thursday, October 31:
- Semanas Latinoamericanas de Salud, 9:00 a.m. Consulado de México en Salt Lake City, 660 S 200 E Ste. 300 Salt Lake City, Del 28 de septiembre al 31 de octubre, el Consulado de México y Comunidades Unidas, através de la Ventanilla de Salud, realizará talleres y sesiones informativas en diversos temas de salud relevantes: diabetes, salud mental, salud de la mujer, salud de la tercera edad, enfermedades crónicas, salud sexual y reproductiva, influenza e inscripción a seguros de salud, en la sede consular. Asimismo, con el apoyo de aliados en salud, realizaran clínicas móviles y ferias de salud, en diferentes partes de Utah, durante todo el mes.
Saturday November 2:
Thursday, November 14:
Nov. 20-21: 13th Annual Salt Lake County Watershed Symposium at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center.
Friday, November 29:
- Global Climate Strike - Save The Date! People all over the world will take to the streets to today to #ClimateStrike and tell the world's leaders to #ActNowOnClimate. This Black Friday, let's express our gratitude to planet earth and give her a break. Instead of massive crowds in the stores, let's see massive crowds in the streets. Details coming soon.
Civic Engagement Resources: