A list of upcoming rallies and grassroots resources curated by KRCL’s RadioACTive team
Town Hall with Congressman John Curtis. John Curtis will be conducting townhall meetings throughout Utah's 3rd congressional district:
- August 20: Orem, Tuesday, 56 N State St, Orem, UT
- August 21: Draper, Draper Hall, 1020 Pioneer Road, Draper, UT
- August 22: Woodland Hills, Summit Creek Clubhouse, 770 South Nebo Circle, Woodland Hills, UT
- August 29: Springville, Springville Public Library, 45 South Main Street, Springville,UT
Friday, August 16:
- Tune INN - A Benefit Concert for The INN Between, 6:00 p.m. South Valley Unitarian Universalist Society, 6876 Highland Drive, Cottonwood Heights, great music, delicious food donated by Cannella's, and fabulous prize drawings at "Tune INN", our 4th Anniversary Celebration Benefit Concert on Friday, August 16th at South Valley Unitarian Universalist Society (SVUUS). Doors open at 6:00 pm for dinner. Music begins at 7:00 pm featuring local band The Lazlos.
- Fit to Recover Benefit Concert featuring Mark Battles, 7:00 p.m. Fit to Recover, 1390 S 789 W, Salt Lake City, The evening will be full of excitement starting with the debut performance from the FTR Music Group, and a live performance from FTR community member, local hip hop artist think benjamin.
- Identity Project Exhibition, 4:00 p.m. Utah Museum of Contemporary Art, 20 S West Temple, Salt Lake City, Through the Identity Project, participants explore their role within the community, and what it means to collaborate, connect, and support individuals and groups. Attendees have worked on a community piece that will be on display at the DRAW, Inc gallery on August 16th from 4-7pm. Please join us in congratulating and celebrating these artists and their collaboration.
Saturday, August 17:
- August Recess Rally: to honor the lives cut short by gun violence and demand common-sense gun reform. 11:00 a.m. Washington Square Park, Join Moms Demand Action in Utah for our August Recess Rally to call upon our US Senate to bring universal background checks and red flags law up for a vote in the Senate. More details to come soon but please RSVP to stay updated. Everyone is encouraged to wear red and bring their homemade signs!
- Snowbird Oktoberfest, 12:00 p.m. Snowbird (Snowbird Lodge, UT), 9385 S Snowbird Center Dr, Snowbird Lodge, Come join Johnny and his band for a great Oktoberfest at the Snowbird Resort! Just 30 minutes from Salt Lake City, it makes a great getaway from town or destination Oktoberfest! They've got it all covered - entertainment under the big tent with food, beer, and vendors galore!
- Sunrise Salt Lake City Hub Launch, 12:00 p.m. Glendale Branch, Salt Lake City Public Library, 1375 S Concord St, Salt Lake City, The Salt Lake City Hub of the Sunrise Movement is excited to announce our official launch Saturday August 17, 2019! Sunrise SLC is a youth-led national Sunrise Movement hub - working hard to fight for racial, economic and environmental justice.
- The Utah Beer Festival VIP Experience, 1:00 p.m. Utah State Fairpark, 155 1000 W, Salt Lake City, Tickets include 6 food and drink pairings each day, complimentary tote bag with the official festival pint glass, restaurant certificates and giveaways, chair massages, a photo booth, a silent auction to benefit the Utah Brewers Guild and more!
- Jubilee Jamboree, Hosted by Utah Chapter Sierra Club, 423 W 800 S, Ste A103, Salt Lake City, Utah Sierra Club is celebrating 50 years in Utah. We are so grateful to our community of committed activists and partners that continue to protect Utah’s wild places and strive to build a better future for Utah. To celebrate this milestone, we want to take the time to relax, unwind, and enjoy -- together!
- Residents Building Roots, 5:00 p.m. 777 W 500 N, Salt Lake City, At this gathering, you will learn about the Village Cooperative and their efforts to feed a 3 block radius in the Rose/Fairpark area.
- 10th Annual Utah Beer Festival, 2:00 p.m. Utah State Fair Park: 155 N 1000 W, Salt Lake City, Featuring over 200 beers and ciders to sample over this 2-day weekend event! There will be over 50 local, regional and international varieties (all ABV options available-- for those of you not from Utah... we have all the beer, too). Beers are poured into 5 oz sample mugs and 12 oz cups
- Annual BBQ|Rose Park Brown Berets, 4:00 p.m. W Jackson Park Pl, Salt Lake City.
- 4th Annual Lgbtq+ Big Family Picnic, 1:00 p.m. Fairmont Park, 1049 E Sugarmont Dr, Salt Lake City, Join us for the fourth annual LGBTQ+ Big Family Picnic, jointly hosted by your favorite LGBTQ+ organizations. This cost-free, family-friendly event is an opportunity for us to gather as a community and share food, fun, and laughter. Please bring everyone you know and your (well-behaved) dog!
Tuesday, Aug. 20:
- SLC Council will hold a Truth in Taxation public hearing, 7:00 p.m. at the City & County Building, 451 S. State St., SLC. This is the final step required by State law to formally complete the annual operating budget for Salt Lake City for Fiscal Year 2019-20.
Thursday, Aug. 22:
- 10,000 Allies Indigenous Youth Solidarity Prayer Run. Begins Aug. 22 and is routed from the Bears Ears Monument and will end at the Salt Lake City Capitol Aug. 26. This Prayer Run will also be happening at the same time that The United Nations will be in SLC for its historic conference for the 68th United Nations Department of Public Information Conference. To offer support as a volunteer or a sponsor, contact email@example.com.
Oct. 12-14: SAVE THE DATE: Natl.Call to Action to Close the Concentration Camps. The Coalition to Close the Concentration Camps is calling for a national mobilization to close the concentration camps on the weekend of October 12th-14th. More details to come.
Civic Engagement Resources: