A list of upcoming rallies and grassroots resources curated by KRCL’s RadioACTive team
Tuesday, May 21:
- Stop the Abortion Bans Day of Action, Utah State Capitol, 350 N State St, Salt Lake City, There have been a rash of extreme abortion bans sweeping the country, all with one goal in mind — to bring a direct challenge to Roe v. Wade to the Supreme Court, and make abortion inaccessible in this country. We have seen sixteen abortion bans (including one here in Utah) pass in states so far in 2019. This is not what people in America want, nor is it something they’ll stand for. That’s why we’re fighting back. Join Utah Planned Parenthood at the Utah State Capitol rotunda at 12 p.m. Tuesday, May 21.
- UVU 2019 Latin American Celebration Dinner, 6:00 p.m. UVU Latino Initiative, 800 West University Pkwy (Liberal Arts Building (LA) 114), Orem,
- AFP Lunch & Learn: New Tax Laws and What it Means for Your Donor, 12:00 p.m. University of Utah David Eccles School of Business, 1655 E Campus Center Dr, Salt Lake City, Come here from a local CPA about tactics donors from all levels are using to maximize their tax savings and continue supporting nonprofit organizations. Please bring your own lunch and come prepared to share how your organization is adapting to these changes in donor behavior.
- Ramadan Celebration, 7:00 p.m. Marmalade Branch, Salt Lake City Public Library, 280 W 500 N, Salt Lake City, Festivities will include a lively and informative conversation about the significance of this month, henna tattoo art, calligraphy, tea ceremony, and Iftar - a traditional meal that symbolizes the community gathering to break their fast together.
- SLC City Council Budget Public Hearings, 7:00 p.m. Salt Lake City and County Building, 451 S State St, Salt Lake City, Adopting Salt Lake City's annual budget is one of the City Council’s strongest policy-making tools. The City budget determines funding for everything from street maintenance to public safety. The Council wants to hear from you: what do you think of the proposed City budget for Fiscal Year 2019-20?
Wednesday, May 22:
Tuesday, May 28:
Friday, May 31:
- Youth Pride 2019, 8:00 p.m. Utah Pride Festival, 451 S State St, Salt Lake City, An unforgettable evening of performances! We'll have a number of youth performers doing everything from drag to poetry! This is for youth ages 14-20. Please bring a government issued ID, a school ID, or we will ask for your birthday!
Sat-Sun June 1-2:
- Utah Pride Festival 2019, Washington Square Park, The Utah Pride Festival is a community event which features a broad spectrum of activities and entertainment. The 44th Utah Pride Festival will be held June 1st & 2nd, 2019 at Washington Square in downtown Salt Lake City. Pride 2019 is excited to offer additional celebratory events, diverse food and booth vendors, venue upgrades and excellent entertainment options! The Utah Pride Festival is a Program of the Utah Pride Center.
Saturday, June 1:
- Utah Pride Days - OUTdoors and Proud 5k, 9:00 a.m. Jordan Park, 1060 S 900 W. Salt Lake City, Join Utah Pride for our 3rd Annual OUTdoors and Proud Health Day in Jordan Park. In addition to the annual 5k, this Saturday morning event will include yoga and a sound bath in the Peace Gardens, a hip hop dance class, a Crossfit workout, a bicycle obstacle course for kids, stick horse barrel racing and more! Stay tuned to this event page for details on all activities.
- Utah Pride Days - March & Rally, 12:00 p.m. Utah State Capitol, 350 N State St, Salt Lake City, Honoring the traditions of peaceful protest, visibility, and activism on which the Pride movement was founded, we will gather once again to exercise our right to free speech and to practice patriotism in the form of dissent. With strong commitment to social justice and in solidarity with those whose voices are often silenced, we will march for love, for social justice, for all. If you would like to speak at the Rally, please contact Jocelyn Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org
Big Fat Gay Family Picnic, 1:00 p.m. Liberty Park, Meet at the Northeast corner of Liberty Park. Bring all your friends and a picnic lunch and let's celebrate Pride weekend together. Super kid friendly, let's see all those babies! We'll have a bunch of outside games to play, but feel free to bring your own! Don't forget a blanket or chairs to sit on. Hope to see you there!
Sunday June 2:
- Utah Pride Parade 2019, Exist. Resist. Persist. Celebrating 50 Years of Stonewall, 10:00 a.m. The Utah Pride Parade is an annual event of the Utah Pride Center whose mission is to unite, empower and celebrate Utah’s diverse LGBTQ+ community by providing a safe and welcoming space for education, partnerships, services and events which advance our collective health, wellness, and success.
Civic Engagement Resources: