Black Light shines on the perils of black female political participation and voter suppression in Utah, The Bridge, election night coverage with PBS NewsHour
- Community Co-Host Tamara Stevenson shined the Black Light on the perils of black female political participation, as well as voter suppression Utah-style. Guests:
- Darlene McDonald, who ran for Salt Lake County Council
- Antonella Packard, LULAC Utah
- Regina Lopez-Whiteskunk, Ute Mountain Ute tribal leader
- Yamiche Alcindor, White House correspondent for PBS NewsHour, which begins its election-day coverage online and social media at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow:
- Co-composer Andrew Maxfield and SALT Contemporary Dance’s Michelle Nielsen on The Bridge, which runs Nov. 8-10 at Kingsbury Hall. CLICK HEREfor tickets.
- During the height of the Civil War, a young man awaits his hanging for attempted arson. As his mind races to his family and ideals, his battle for survival becomes a battle for self. Commissioned by UtahPresents for its world premiere, this genrebending dance and music performance — created by Salt Lake City natives Andrew Maxfield and Stuart Maxfield (singer/bassist of Fictionist) and librettist Glen Nelson — retells Ambrose Bierce’s classic short story.
Nov. 6, 2018, is General Election Day. Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Here are a couple of tips and links for Salt Lake County voters:
- There are 43 voting centers in Salt Lake County. CLICK HERE to find one near you.
- Voters who are eligible to vote in the General Election may vote at ANY of the Vote Centers on Election Day.
- Election Day Registration is the law. Bring valid identification (see below for list) and ask for a provisional ballot.
- Voters may drop off their vote-by-mail ballot at a Vote Center during polling hours (7:00 am – 8:00 pm). WALK & DROP!
- Voters don’t need to wait in line to deposit their vote-by-mail ballot at a Vote Center.
- Vote Centers will be open on General Election Day (November 6th) from 7:00 am - 8:00 pm.
- Identification is required: ID Requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions
Statewide voting resources:
- CLICK HERE to search by any Utah address to find a voting center near you:
- CLICK HERE for contact information for all 29 county clerks in Utah.
Got a story you'd like to share on the show? Record a voice memo on your smart phone, then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Keep it under 3 minutes and be sure to include a name and phone number in the body of the message.
RadioActive is a production of Listeners' Community Radio of Utah. Tonight's team included:
- Exec. Producer/Host: Lara Jones
- Assoc. Producer: Billy Palmer
- Community Co-Host: Tamara Stevenson
- Volunteer: Tommy Sutter