Getting up to #GoodTrouble on taxes, Medicaid, earthquake relief, stories of Mexico, and micro dosing and depression.
2019 Tax Referendum volunteer Paul Murphy stopped in with an update on signature gathering to repeal the tax reform package passed by state lawmakers in December. With Harmon's and other high-profile businesses joining the fight to get the issue before voters in November, the group has high hopes that they will be able to gather at least 115,689 signatures needed by Jan. 21, 2020. Click here to volunteer or learn more about the issue.
Celebrating the win of Medicaid expansion with Stacy Stanford of Utah Health Policy Project. Tomorrow evening, they're throwing a party and you're invited.
- Jan. 15: Medicaid Expansion Celebration and Enrollment Event, 4:30-7:30 p.m. at UHHP, 2369 W. Orton Circle, WVC. Celebrate this big victory for Utah voters, health care advocates, and future enrollees, with display of photos, newspapers, and mementos tracking the history of this long Medicaid expansion journey.
Hurricanes two years ago, and now more than 2,000 tremors have hit Puerto Rico since December 28, 2019. Miriam Padilla Vargas, Omar González Nieves and Juan Carlos Claudio of Bomba Marilé stopped in to talk about how you can help.
- Jan. 25: Collection for Puerto Rico/ Colección para Puerto Rico, 9:00-11:00 a.m. at Monsieur Crêpes UT, 1617 S. 900 E., SLC. Puerto Rico has been hit recently by devastating earthquakes. Puerto Rico en Utah will be collecting items to send directly to Puerto Rico. Please drop off any of the requested items and monetary donations. Click here for the list Below is the list of requested items to donate. /// Puerto Rico a sido afectado recientemente por unos horribles terremotos. Estaremos recolectando donaciones para Puerto Rico el Sábado 25 de Enero de 9-11 de la mañana en Monsieur Crepes. Aquí se encuentra la lista de cosas que se pudieran donar.
- Jan. 26: Bingo pa’ Borinquén, 4:00-6:00 p.m. at Mestizo Coffee House, 631 W. North Temple, SLC. Suggested donation of $5 per bingo card. Monetary donations for Puerto Rico will also be accepted. Puerto Rico en Utah hopes to see you there. /// Recientemente, Puerto Rico a sufrido con varios horribles terremotos. Estaremos haciendo un evento casual de bingo el Domingo 26 de Enero de 4-6 pm en Mestizo Coffeehouse. Pedimos $5 por cada cartón de bingo. Tendremos buenos premios para los ganadores. Donaciones monetarias también serán aceptadas durante el evento.
- Feb. 1: Bomba y Crepas pa’ Puerto Rico, 3:00-6:00 p.m. at Monsieur Crêpes UT, 1617 S. 900 E., SLC. Bomba Marilé and Monsieur Crepes invite you to sing, play, and dance bomba. All are welcome. No experience is necessary. They will be collecting monetary donations to help in the recovery effort of Puerto Rico after the recent earthquakes.
Catherine Avilés & Jorge Rodriguez of Nuevas Voces, a podcast of Artes de México en Utah that reexamines Mexico through its art.
Micro dosing and depression with Dr. Parth Gandhi, PhD (Neuropsychologist and Psychoanalyst) and Dr. Reid Robison, MD MBA (Research Psychiatrist & Ketamine Therapy thought leader), founders of Salt City Psychedelic Therapy and Research (SCPTR). Their Utah-based non-profit is dedicated to advancing the field of psychedelic medicine through education, research and clinical work
- Fri.-Sun., Jan. 17-19: Intermountain Psychedelics Symposium, intended for all those that are interested in the new science and therapy of Psychedelic medicines, covering micro dosing, psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy, legalization, harm-reduction, integration after an experience, and more. Click here to register.
- Fri., Jan. 17: An Evening with James Fadiman on Transpersonal Psychology, the Psychedelic Renaissance and Micro dosing Psychedelics for Healing and Creativity, 7:00-9:00 p.m. at Salt Lake City Public Library.
- The symposium is an inaugural event with the specific goals of education and identifying the network of local interested persons and professionals. Look for monthly community meetings with a range of topics. Click here to sign up for SCPTR's newsletter.
Got a story you'd like to share on the show or an issue you’d like us to cover? Record a voice memo on your smart phone, then email it to email@example.com. Keep it under 3 minutes and be sure to include a name and phone number in the message.
Views, thoughts or opinions shared by guests are their own and do not necessarily reflect those of the board, staff or members of Listeners' Community Radio of Utah, 90.9fm KRCL. Tonight's RadioACTive team included:
- Exec. Producer/Host: Lara Jones
- Assoc. Producer: Billy Palmer
- Community Co-Host: Amy Dominguez
- Volunteer: Risshan Leak