Addressing and Preventing Domestic Violence
Tonight's show was hosted by Lara Jones and Billy Palmer:
On the RadioActive Report (begins at 07:00):
- KRCL Radiothon
- Youthlinc Service Year: Youthlinc is accepting student and mentor applications now through October 5. Students become relied upon volunteers in their own community and attend monthly meetings where they are mentored by adult professionals as they take leadership roles in planning education, community health, business development, vocational training, and cultural exchange activities to be implemented in small villages in Thailand, Cambodia, Guatemala, Peru, Nepal, Kenya, and Madagascar next summer. Adult professionals mentor students and travel with the team. Financial aid is available.
- CERT classes: The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training educates individuals about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. Using training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT volunteers can assist others in their community following a disaster when professional responders are not immediately available to help. CERT volunteers are also encouraged to support emergency response agencies by taking an active role in emergency preparedness projects.
- HawkWatch Bird Docent: Bird Docent volunteers assist in providing community outreach programs with HawkWatch International's education birds. Volunteers are taught how to handle our non-releasable education birds, learn about birds of prey and our various programs, and then take the birds out to community programs to teach about raptor ecology and conservation. We do request a time commitment of volunteers and ask that they assist with some general bird care duties.
Utah 1 in 3: Stories of Domestic Violence (begins at 29:00), featuring:
Music from the show:
- Lucinda Williams -- Protection
- Shovels & Rope -- Bridge on Fire
- The Pretenders -- Fast or Slow, the Law's the Law
If you have an idea -- guest, topic, something new -- for RadioActive, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to our new Facebook page.