YouthWorks Reports on Conservation Trip to Canyonlands, Utah School Walkout Gears Up for National Gun Violence Awareness Day, The Great Read, Digital Inclusion
Tonight’s lineup included:
- Riley Arnold and Ashley Jimenez of Utah School Walkout, which is changing its name to Utah Student League of Action.
- The Great American Read with KUED’s Laura Durham and Tommy Hamby, adult services coordinator at the downtown Salt Lake City Public Library, explained.
- Saturday, May 12: The Great American Read Kickoff Party, 1:00-4:00 p.m. at the downtown Salt Lake City Public Library, 210 E. 400 S., SLC. Join KUED and The City Library as they kick off The Great American Read PBS, an eight-part television and online series designed to spark a national conversation about reading and the books that have inspired, moved, and shaped us. FREE and open to the public.
- YouthWorks is a community-based program that assists youth ages 14-18 in pre-employment training and important life skills. As Community Builders, students develop life and employment skills to help them find their first job and a pathway to success in life. YouthWorks in the Park Program offers them an opportunity to go on a camping trip to a National Park in Utah, including learning from local guides, exploring the nature the park provides, and having fun with their peers. We heard from a variety of folks about their most recent trip to Canyonlands, featuring:
- Students Hope, Heba and Uriel
- Sandra Black, Hope’s mom
- David Foster, YouthWorks
- McKenna Gunderson, Cotopaxi, which donated camping gear for the trip
- Joette Langianese, Friends of Arches and Canyonlands Parks
- Cassidy Jones, former Student Conservation Association Intern and Forest Service Guide, now Administrative Outreach and Engagement and Coordinator for the National Parks Conservation Association (NPCA)
- Erika Pollard, Utah Senior Program Manager, NPCA
RadioActive is a production of Listeners' Community Radio of Utah. Tonight's team included:
- Host/Executive Producer: Lara Jones
- Community Co-Host: Tommy Hamby
- Associate Producer: Billy Palmer
- Volunteer: Kristen Nielson