Debut of #LookForTheHelpers, a RadioACTive series highlighting folks getting up to #GoodTrouble in the Beehive State, including Nurture the Creative Mind, Native Youth Art Initiative, Fourth Street Clinic and Ogden's Own.
Tonight's lineup of helpers in our neighborhoods:
RadioACTive has served up #QuarantineCocktails just about every weeknight since April 6, 2020. Our goal has been to shine a light on small, locally-owned restaurants, bars and breweries as they navigate COVID-19, and to mix a good cocktail, mocktail or vegan shake along the way. Tonight’s edition:
- Pete Saltas of City Weekly, which offers Ogden’s Own Five Wives Distillery hand sanitizer in its online store.
- Steve Conlin of Ogdens Own Distillery, who served up the very first #QuarantineCocktail on the show. Conlin mixed a Madam 75, featuring a half-ounce each of lemon juice, simple syrup and Madam Pattirini gin, topped by 4-5 ounces of champagne. Drink cautiously!
- Ogden's Own has been making its own hand sanitizer, donating more than 2,200 gallons to the Navajo Nation in its fight against COVID-19. To help offset the costs of production and delivery of such donations, click here.
Amir Jackson of Nurture the Creative Mind, a 501 c(3) nonprofit that empowers and establishes self-value in youth through creativity, while developing marketable skills. In addition to sharing music created through the program, Jackson introduced Valiss and Mercedes to share their experiences.
- July 11: Community Water Balloon Fight (Youth), 3:00-5:00 p.m. at Union Station (south end), Ogden. Hosted by Nurture the Creative Mind and Ogden Arts Festival: “All community youth (8-18) are invited to participate in Nurture the Creative Mind's annual water balloon fight. All supplies will be provided and this is a free event. Let's have a great time.”
- #BeTheHelper: Nurture the Creative Mind provides all of its programming free of charge. Click here to donate or connect
Native Youth Art Initiative, a project created by sisters Izzy and Alyssa Klain, with help from their mother and aunt, Samantha and Donna Eldridge (respectively), and Sheri Gib of Clever Octopus in SLC.
- #BeTheHelper:Drop of art supplies, new and gently used, to Clever Octopus, 2250 S. West Temple, SLC. Be sure to write on the box or bag that your donation is for the Native Youth Art Initiative. Backpacks and school supplies are also welcome.
The 6th annual Food Truck Face Off starts today and runs throughout July. RadioACTive learned more with Fourth Street Clinic’s Laurel Ingham. Hosted by and benefitting
Know a helper in your neighborhood? Email email@example.com or call (385) 800-1899 and tell us about them for a future show.
Views, thoughts or opinions shared by guests are their own and do not necessarily reflect those of the board, staff or members of Listeners' Community Radio of Utah, 90.9fm KRCL. Tonight's RadioACTive team included:
- Exec. Producer/Host: Lara Jones
- Assoc. Producer: Billy Palmer
- Community Co-Host: Tristin Tabish