A Sugar Free February Mid-month Checkup, Voices for Utah Children, LoveWins: Keep Families Together, Capitol Press Core with Michael Orton
#ThePeoplesBusiness, a report from community partners keeping an eye on lawmakers during the 2020 General Session of the Utah Legislature. Guests:
- Emily Walsh of the League of Women Voters of Utah, a nonpartisan political organization that encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
- Bring your own lunch and meetup with the League’s Legislative Action Committee in the Seagull Room of the Senate Building from 11:30a-1:30p every Wednesday during the session to share observations, discuss bills and strategies for the general session.
- Carrie Butler of Action Utah, a non-partisan community advocacy org providing an issues-focused pathway to civic engagement to empower Utahns to have a voice in the issues. They provide education, resources and advocacy opportunities to Utahns from both sides of the aisle.
- Lauren Simpson of Alliance for a Better Utah, a nonprofit that holds politicians accountable and advocates for progressive policies that make Utah an even better place.
- Follow Better Utah on Twitter for Utah legislative updates on the hill as they happen.
We shared a clip from Michael Orton from the Utah Press Core with an interview of Deidre Henderson on the 100 years of women suffrage.
Maria Montes and Dulce Horn from Comunidades Unidas talked about the event LoveWins: Keep Families Together 2020 a fundraiser to assist families facing deportation.
A conversation about SB 99, bill in this years legislation that would provide guidelines and funding for full day kindergarten with guests:
- Anna Thomas, Voices for Utah Children
- Sara Weibke, Literacy Coordinator, Utah Board of Education
- Kim Babka, Early School Specialists, Granite School Distric
Sugar Free February Checkups:
Utah doctors of physiology, Michael Jaffe and Chris Mendoza were back for a two week follow up on the RadioACTive challenge to go sugar free during the shortest month of the year.
Got a story you'd like to share on the show or an issue you’d like us to cover? Record a voice memo on your smart phone, then email it to email@example.com. Keep it under 3 minutes and be sure to include a name and phone number in the message.
Views, thoughts or opinions shared by guests are their own and do not necessarily reflect those of the board, staff or members of Listeners' Community Radio of Utah, 90.9fm KRCL. Tonight's RadioACTive team included:
- Exec. Producer: Lara Jones
- Assoc. Producer/Host: Billy Palmer
- Community Co-Host: Nick Burns
- Volunteers: Natalie Benoy, Isabella Sabala