Pain and Possibility, Salt Lake AIDS Walk 2020, and a legislative update from the League of Women Voters of Utah.
The Utah Legislature met in special session last week. Vickie Samuelson of the League of Women Voters of Utah report on election amendments discussed and passed by lawmakers. Click here to check your registration or register to vote. Ballots are expected to be in the mail by mid-October.
- Sept. 11-20: 100 Years Running Virtual Fun Run, you pick the time and place. Hosted by League of Women Voters of Salt Lake: “Grab a walking partner or run like the wind on your own. The 100 Years Running 5K Fun Run is going virtual to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the League of Women Voters and the 19th Amendment. While we recommend our set course around Liberty Park, we want you to join us wherever you are. Just download a running app and keep track while you go 5K (also 3.1 miles). Take photos along the way and send them to us. And you’ll have fun learning more about the history of our voting journey from 1789 to 2020. Each station (below) will have a QR code to bring you to our website and Voting History. Both will be live on September 11 — the first day of our 5K.” Click here to register.
In collaboration with Sugar Space Foundation and Mestizo Institute of Culture and Arts, Pain and Possibility is a series of public art projects across Salt Lake City. Through mural painting, sculpture, dance, video and other media, a diverse group of artists—including BIPOC, LGBTQ and Allies—is helping our community engage with today’s reality while reimagining tomorrow. Click here to find out where and what you can see through Sept. 6 at various locations. Guests included:
- Brittany Reese, Sugar Space Foundation
- Renato Olmedo Gonzalez, Mestizo Institute of Culture & Arts
- Alejandro Moya, Pain and Possibility artist
- Dulce Horn, Pain and Possibility artist
Utah AIDS Foundation is taking its annual walk virtual this weekend. The foundation's Chet Cannon and Jared Hafen shared details about Salt Lake AIDS Walk 2020 and ways for folks to participate on August 29, 2020. Click here to register as an individual or sign up as a team.
- The Salt Lake AIDS Walk aims to reduce stigma while encouraging a healthier community. Challenge your friends to start a team and encourage them to raise more than the rest. #SLAW2020
Views, thoughts or opinions shared by guests are their own and do not necessarily reflect those of the board, staff or members of Listeners' Community Radio of Utah, 90.9fm KRCL. Tonight's RadioACTive team included:
- Exec. Producer/Host: Lara Jones
- Community Co-Host: Sue Robbins, Everyday People