Grizzly Goat Live in the Studio, the Economic Benefit of Medicaid Expansion, #StandOnEveryCorner, Fresh Start Ventures and the Tiny House Movement, Seattle's Tiny Homes for the Homeless
- Stacy Stanford of the Utah Health Policy Project on what her group says would be the economic benefits of expanding Medicaid — should voters approve Prop. 3 at the polls this fall.
- Grassroots activist Ashley Weitz, who has been taking a stand on the southeast corner of South Temple and 1300 East in SLC for the last 40 days. She’s part of a movement called #StandOnEveryCorner, which is growing quickly across the U.S.
- Tiny homes on wheels – smaller, attractive, affordable. Are they the answer to Utah’s homelessness crisis? Can they provide a way to successfully re-enter society after incarceration? David and Linda Donaldson of FreshStart Ventures talked about their unique approach to empowering people who, like themselves, need to create a new start after incarceration.
- Aug. 23-25: FreshStart Ventures’ Tiny Home Showcase at University Place in Orem. Free event, but they’d like it if you reserved a ticket.
- REAL Transition, a community within the Utah State prison and Utah’s county jail systems focused on providing incarcerated individuals with a method to improve themselves by establishing healthy connections and supporting them in developing a personal vision for success. Weekly orientation from 6:00-7:30 p.m. Thursday evenings at 195 S. 200 E., Provo.
- Sharon Lee, executive director of the Seattle-based Low Income Housing Institute, which has built 300 tiny homesfor the homeless at 10 city-sanctioned “villages.” Seattle has the third-largest homeless population in the country, behind New York City and Los Angeles.
Got a story you'd like to share on the show? Record a voice memo on your smart phone, then email it to email@example.com. Keep it under 3 minutes and be sure to include a name and phone number in the body of the message.
RadioActive is a production of Listeners' Community Radio of Utah. Tonight's team included:
- Host/Exec. Producer: Lara Jones
- Assoc. Producer: Billy Palmer
- Community Co-Host: Nick Burns