Project Rainbow is back with Pride flags. Old school photography with UMFA, Luminaria. National Poetry Month with Rock Canyon Poets, Utah Poetry Festival, and more.
Lucas Horns of Project Rainbow, which is ready to plant pride flags again.
- Sign up now to have a rainbow flag staked in your yard or in front of your business for the week of Pride (May 26 - June 2). As always, the proceeds will benefit the Utah Pride Center. Last year, Project Rainbow raised more than $6,000 for the center. Click here to get yours.
The Race to Promontory: The Transcontinental Railroad and the American West, a stunning photography exhibit on view at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts (UMFA) through May 26. Tonight, curator Leslie Anderson talked about Salt Lake City photographer Charles Roscoe Savage (1832–1909), who recorded the construction of the Union Pacific line in Utah alongside Andrew J. Russell, including the wedding of the rails on May 10, 1869. David Hyams Luminaria explained the techniques used by the then-groundbreaking photographers.
It's National Poetry Month! RadioACTive starts a special project featuring Utah poets. It's headed by Trish Hopkinson of Rock Canyon Poets and RadioACTive intern Ashley Finley. Tonight’s featured poets:
- Trish Hopkinson of Rock Canyon Poets. She curates a list of poetry readings and calls-for-submission on RCP's website.
- Ashley Finley, a performance poet and part of the RadioACTive team. She and Hopkinson are curating our featured poets this month.
- Fish Burton, who read from his new chapbook, Sonder. He's the featured poet at Pioneer Book in Provo tomorrow night. Presented by Rock Canyon Poets, the evening starts at 6:30 p.m. with an open mic.
- Natasha Sajé, who read from Vivarium, her third collection of poems.
- April 27: Utah Poetry Festival 2019, 9:30a-6p, Converse Hall at Westminster College. Celebrating Utah poets, K-12 educators and literary community organizers. The festival will feature readings from poets across the state and across poetry communities, as well as roundtables focusing on teaching and promoting poetry. Doors open at 9:30 for coffee and pastries. Lunch and reception provided. The festival is free but interested participants must register by April 17th to attend. Email your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a story you'd like to share on the show? Record a voice memo on your smart phone, then email it to email@example.com. Keep it under 3 minutes and be sure to include a name and phone number in the message.
RadioACTive is a production of Listeners' Community Radio of Utah. Tonight's team included:
- Exec. Producer/Host: Lara Jones
- Assoc. Producer/Host: Billy Palmer
- Volunteer: Tommy Sutter