Light As Air, Clever Octopus, Every Day Upcycles
Hosted by Lara Jones and Noor Ul-Hasan, tonight's show served up ways you can reduce, reuse and recycle for a better planet every day — not just Earth Day. Plus #OpenMicActivists and poets. Lineup:
- Leigh Cornu on Light As Air, Saturday at 6 p.m., Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center, 138 W. 300 S., SLC. The 3rd annual event is an evening of education, dance, and community to raise awareness for clean air in Utah. All proceeds go to supporting Western Resource Advocates and the work they do to protect and improve the air quality in Utah
- Dr. Denise Dortch reports back on the State of Utah Black Affairs Summit report, hosted by Black Faculty and Staff Association at the University of Utah last weekend
- SLC poet Dorothy McGinnis, who coaches Skyline High's poetry slam team. She's also a finalist for Sugar Slam Team Selection Finals, featuring Good Ghost Bill, Thursday, April 20, 8 p.m. at Watchtower Cafe in SLC.
- Panel discussion on everyday ways to celebrate Earth Day year-round:
- Sean Crossland and Alex Farmer from the SLCC Thayne Center for Service & Learning. The center's Earth Day Festival is Wednesday, April 19, from 1-7 p.m. Stop in at SLCC's Redwood Road Campus for a panel discussion, sustainable fashion show, pop-up farmers market, food, music, and, at 6 p.m., keynote speaker Yoram Bauman, the Standup Economist.
- Jenn Lopez of Clever Octopus, a creative reuse center in Murray
- Jenn Blum, SLC Mini-Maker Faire, with notes about upcycling and repair cafes. To learn more, visit greatsaltmake.com